Couture by
Pearl
made in America
click on any picture to view larger image
Julie was married
in 1981 in this
wedding gown.
Bodice Front Detail
Lace on Bottom Front of the
skirt
Back view
The waterfall of lace cascades
from the train
Sleeve and cuff
detail
Pieces saved in a bin for later
use
This page documents the transformation of My sister's wedding gown to a christening gown for Her
first granddaughter.   It will be updated as progress is made.  
Counter
After cutting the underskirt, the
pieces were laid out on cotton
broadcloth to cut the lining.
2 layers remained on the skirt.  
The top layer of organza  and
the bottom is netting with the
lace attached at the bottom
The two remaining layers were
seperated.
The organza alone with
attached lace
The lace was carefully removed
from the layer or organza
The organza was pressed and
placement is planned.
Something you don't see too
often.  Made in USA!
Under the layer of Organza was
a layer of netting with the rest
of the lace attached.
The lace was removed from the
netting.
The netting was pressed to
prepare for cutting.  The lace
was set aside.
The netting was cut in the
shape of the underskirt.
The scalloped trim was
removed from the lace and
placement on the netting is
planned.
The plan
The underskirt and
joined at the waist.  
The bottom row of
lace has been
stitched to the
netting.  The
reattached to the
bottom of the lace.
The second row of lace
is added to the skirt.
I placed a piece of
Christmas wrap under the
netting to Help shape the
over skirt.
Using a tracing wheel the
shape of the over skirt is
transferred to the paper.    
The tracing wheel marked the
paper without damaging the
The markings from the tracing
wheel are drawn in pen, then 2"
were added.
I want the split front over skirt
to be off set, so half the width
of the front is removed.
I now have a template for the
over skirt.
2 layers were cut from the one
of the fabric that made up the
underskirt of the wedding
gown.
The 2 layers are stitched
together.
The wider Lace is pinned to the
edges of the over skirt.
I pinned the over skirt to the skirt so I could get a
general idea of the finished result.  Another row of
lace needs to be added to the skirt before I attach
the layers.
Crinoline netting was placed on
the slip to give the skirt extra
fullness.
The skirt is complete.  Front and
back views.
I used curved ruler to mark the
placement for the lace.   The same
pieces will also be cut from the
fabric that made the underskirt and
the organza.
The Bodice front and back, and the sleeve top pieces for the top
of the dress are first laid out on the broadcloth
I would like to add some
the front of the dress.
Using a ruffler, 1.5" strips of
organza cut from the original
skirt are gathered. The
adjacent edges are finished
with a narrow zigzag
The lace and ruffle are sewn on
sewn over the raw edges.
The bodice back is made of 2
layers.  The main fabric covered
with organza.  Woven
interfacing is placed on the
wrong side to stabilize the
buttons and button holes.  
Once all the ruffles are on, the
bodice front and back are sewn
together at the shoulders.
The top of the sleeve is made of
the under layer covered with
lace.  I used the original cuff
make up the bottom part of the
sleeve.
Casings made from 1/2" ribbon
were added to the bottom and
middle of the sleeve.  The upper
casing is split for the ribbon tie.
On the wrong side of the
gathering stitches were placed
to puff the sleeve.
Ribbon has been threaded
through the upper casing.  
Elastic will go in the bottom one.
purchased trim is placed
over the gathers.  I
bought this particular
trim from Michael's  
The finished sleeve
gathers on the top of the
sleeve are adjusted, and it  is
sewn into the bodice.  The this
time.
A piece of the beaded lace
from the neckline of the
wedding gown placed on the
front of the bodice.
using.  It starts in size 1/2 so it
will be small enough to fit an
infant.
I only need to top curve on this
skirt piece to be sure it will fit
the bodice properly when
assembles.
A graded line is drawn from the new skirt side to the side seams of the original skirt.  
Once the skirt lines are determined, it is ready to be cut.  
I wanted the skirt to be 33" from the waist.  5" needed to be cut
from the bottom.  Using a hem gauge, the bottom edge is marked
and then cut.
the front opening of the skirt,
the top and bottom are all
put together.